• Spread the love




Scary moments for local family serves as reminder for all of us.

Spread the love

It was the middle of the night, and Laurie Baumgartner Pinzel woke up with what she thought was the flu. She went back to bed, hoping to feel better in the morning. When morning came, her son Joe and husband, John had severe headaches. They feared this wasn’t the flu. And they were right.

It was the so-called ‘Invisible Killer’.  Their CO detector’s batteries were dead so they did not get a warning. Once they put new batteries in, they had their answer, “We got a reading of 450ppm. We immediately called 911 and got out of the house as fast as we could,” Laurie said. Sure enough the family had Carbon Monoxide Poisoning. The three spent two days in the hospital, receiving oxygen treatments in the hyperbaric chamber. They are all grateful to be alive.

This is one thankful family with an important message.

It turns out the cap to their fireplace collapsed leaving the deadly gas with nowhere to go.

Now, this family is reminding all of us to check our detectors. Change the batteries often and be sure they are working properly.

The Amanda Hansen Foundation will give your family a CO detector if you can’t afford one. The Hansen’s lost their daughter, Amanda to the deadly poison and work tirelessly to ensure other families do not face the same tragedy.

For more information, visit The Amanda Hansen Foundation.

Mary Friona

Tags: , , ,

Mary Friona

Following my heart with my husband and four daughters. An Emmy Award winning journalist lucky enough to work in television & radio for 20 years - seeing wonderful places, meeting great people and telling their stories.