For fifteen years, the folks at Joyful Rescues have been saving animals from certain death. In fact, since they were founded in 2002, they’ve found loving homes for over 11,000 dogs and cats. 11,000!
The organization also accepts pets from private owners who are unable to care for them any longer – and they never charge a fee to accept a pet. They take in cats when they can, but at times receive dozens of calls a day and need to place what they take in.
All pets are spayed or neutered, dewormed, treated for fleas, and vaccinated. Dogs are micro chipped with lifetime registration paid for.
Susan Buckman has volunteered for Joyful Rescues for about eleven years. She says it is rewarding and she feels blessed to do the work, “Our main facility in Cuba, NY is very unique! Joyful Rescues is nestled on 8 fenced acres complete with a quarter-acre stocked koi pond with a deck many of the dogs enjoy swimming in when temps warm up. They also have 24-hour access to a doggy door in and out of the main house on the property, where our director and her husband live. So…they enjoy sleeping on couches and dog beds, watching the staff work at their desks, check out what’s on TV, and aren’t confined to kennels while they wait to be adopted.”
Susan says they are working on renovating the main house, “As you can imagine, 11,000 welcomes have worn us out! We’re replacing old hardwood and linoleum flooring with tile (with drains for easy cleaning), replacing lower wall sections with tile, stainless steel counters, shampoo tub, and stainless crating inside the main house for dogs post-op needing closer observation but keeping them away from the other dogs. We needed some electrical and plumbing upgrades, too…bottom line, we need to raise $135,000 to finish the job! All donations are tax-deductible as provided by tax law.”
Of course, their goal is to find loving homes for all of the rescues. There are adoption events every Saturday at Orchard Park PetSmart (3425 Amelia Dr, Orchard Park) from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Here is their wish list. Perhaps you, or someone you know can help.
- Liquid laundry detergent or Pods (They can’t use powder due to septic system)
- CLOROX® brand bleach (Clorox kills some germs that other brands don’t)
- Floor cleaner (Lysol, Pinesol, Mr. Clean, etc.)
- Multi-surface cleaner (409, etc.)
- Postage stamps
- Copy paper
- Envelopes (#10 letter and #6 smaller)
- Paper towels
- Mops and brooms
- Vinyl gloves (Med, Large and Extra Large)
- Zip Lock Baggies
- Collars/Leashes (new/used fine, but no “dollar store” type as they break)
- Canned dog food (Sick dogs especially love Cesars)
- Soft dog treats (Made in USA, please!)
- Blankets (used is fine)
- Bath-size towels (used is fine)
- Dog toys
- Cat Litter
- GIFT CARDS: Staples, Home Depot, PetSmart or Valero Gas!
- CASH DONATIONS ALWAYS WELCOME!
For more information, visit the Joyful Rescues Website.
- She beat the Spanish Flu as a child – now 102-year-old Niagara Falls Great-Great-Grandmother beats COVID-19. - May 31, 2020
- Local family turns home into prom central as they celebrate the best way they can! - May 30, 2020
- Through devastation there is optimism! Fire destroys popular Lewiston restaurant – but they remain Lewiston Strong - May 28, 2020
Trackback from your site.