October 8th is World Octopus Day and the Aquarium of Niagara is ready to celebrate! Join them for live enrichment sessions with their Giant Pacific octopus, Babs.
Enjoy this special event and encounter firsthand what Babs’ trainers do with her during their daily sessions. You’ll also have the chance to talk to the trainers as they work with her and ask any questions you may have. What’s the difference between arms and tentacles? Are octopus really that intelligent? How did you train her to do that?
“We have very a trusting relationship with Babs and we’re excited to educate guests on how amazing and intelligent octopus really are,” said Lauran Jozik, Supervisor of Fish, Invertebrates and Birds.
Experience this special event and octopus themed activities on Octopus Day! Live Enrichment Sessions at 11:45 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. in Conservation Cove.
Included with general admission, members free.
More information at aquariumofniagara.org.
Octopus fun facts –
- Octopuses are widely considered to be the most intelligent of all invertebrates.
- They aren’t called “tentacles,” they’re called ‘’arms.”Which, again, is way less fun. Tentacles are reserved for squid, cuttlefish and nautiluses. Octopuses have eight arms, zero tentacles.
- And each arm has a mind of its own. Some two-thirds of an octopus’s neurons reside in its arms, meaning they can react to stimuli and function at a fairly high level on their own, even when severed from the body.
- Octopuses have three hearts. And blue blood. Two hearts serve to move blood past the gills, while the third pumps blood through the rest of the body.
- Saying “octopi” is incorrect (unfortunately). Though “octopi” is colloquially sound and very fun to say, the correct plural of octopus is octopuses.
- Rather than swimming, octopuses often walk along the seafloor. Which is hilarious, but mostly useful — when an octopus swims, the heart that pumps blood to its organs stops beating, so crawling is a more efficient, less exhausting alternative.
Latest posts by Mary Friona (see all)
- “A Bond That Can Never Be Broken” A Story About the Power of Friendship!! - May 22, 2019
- Happy Heavenly Birthday to Alison Gerlach. Her Legacy Lives on Thanks to her Family & Community - May 22, 2019
- Get Your Camera Ready & Pick Out the Perfect Clothes – The Sunflowers of Sanborn have their PERMIT!!!! - May 21, 2019
Trackback from your site.