If you’re like me – you get bored easily and like to change things up from time to time. I don’t know what it is – but I do know that it can drive my husband a bit bonkers. Still, it’s nice to switch things up, freshen things up, move things around.
Good thing I met Margie! She has a staging/interior design company and knows her stuff. She’s helped me quite a bit. In my defense, we only moved into our home just over a year ago and we haven’t really done much. So, I had it coming. 🙂
That being said, we didn’t want to spend a fortune – and turns out we didn’t. Thanks to MAM Development and Margie – so far, we’ve re-done two rooms and are in the midst of a third. I’m pleasantly surprised at what a bit of paint, some accessories and shopping in my own home can do!
I asked Margie if she’d share some tips – and she graciously agreed. Here are the five tips for sprucing up your home.
- A SPLASH OF COLOR – WITH PAINT – The good news here is that just about anyone can paint. But, if you’re too busy or aren’t particularly fond of painting, you can hire a painter. The trick is to pick a color you love, and use it for an accent wall. Think about a dramatic color like navy blue, or gray – and go for it. The other walls can be a complimenting color (you may not even need to paint the other walls). Paint and painter costs really depend on the size of your room.
- SHOP IN YOUR OWN HOME – Margie says you’d be surprised at what you have lying around your own home. And I agree. Once you determine a ‘theme’ just look around; in boxes, in your basement and in other rooms in your home. Gather some accessories and see how they look. You don’t need a lot – less really is more – to avoid making it look cluttered. You may need to still pick up a few things – just shop around for discounts.
- REARRANGE YOUR FURNITURE – This is obviously the least expensive way to change things up. Margie says you don’t want to just put your furniture along the walls of the room. Instead – bring them together towards the middle of the room. Make it intimate. Make it easy to sit and have a conversation – or watch television. And don’t have so much furniture in a room that it prevents you from moving around. I literally took a love seat out of my family room and we don’t miss it – in fact, it’s so much nicer without it. Margie suggests making little vignettes in your room. Think about different people having different conversations all in the same room. Cost – zip!
- THROW PILLOWS ADD A POP OF COLOR – Boy do they. I’ve never been one for throw pillows for two reasons; my kids have always managed to throw them on the floor every two seconds, and they always seemed ridiculously expensive. But in reality – they’re awesome and do add the pop of color you want sometimes. Margie is a shopping pro and suggests places like – Big Lots, TJ Maxx, Home Goods, and online. I found pillows for $7.99 (NICE ONES!). They add a cozy, comfortable and warm touch to the room. Plus that color you want.
- THROW RUGS DO TIE A ROOM TOGETHER – Yes, even if your room has wall-to-wall carpeting, a throw rug can tie your theme together. Again, Margie says shop around at places like Walmart. You can find a beautiful rug for as low as $59. Margie suggests bringing it home, leaving the tags on and putting it down for a few hours – be sure you love it before committing to it. If you don’t LOVE the way it looks, bring it back and try again. I’m always the first to rip the tags off and hope for the best. Lesson learned!
Whether you’re planning on selling your home and need help with staging, or if you have a new home you’d like to make your own, or even if you’d like a change – call Margie for a consultation at 222-2973.
- Paddle with a Purpose – The Dragon Boat Festival Gets Set to Sail Once Again - June 4, 2022
- The world-renowned Shen Yun Performing Arts returns to Shea’s on Friday and Saturday, June 10-11, 2022. - June 1, 2022
- Totally Buffalo Festival Set for Memorial Weekend at Riverworks – and the FERRIS WHEEL IS OPEN!!!! - May 27, 2022